Wednesday, December 23, 2009

"Some times a thousand twangling instruments will hum about my ears, and sometimes voices."

I often find I like quotes more than the books I read them in. I chicken pick 'em from dialogues, disregarding their context. I place them on the cover pages of essays, on notecards, on my Facebook status, on blog titles...

The above quote is originally from Shakespear's Tempest, but I first read it in Aldous Huxley's Brave New World. The passage, in the latter version, gave me goosebumps, and I read it over and over again after finishing the chapter, and then again after finishing the book, and then again before returning it to the library. It's quoted by Mustopha Mond--one of the Word Controllers of Brave New World's utopia--upon hearing that the Savage found the civilised world's music beautiful.

Apparently, during Huxley's stay in Hollywood, he tried his pen at screenwriting, and produced forth a screenplay of Alice in Wonderland, to be read by none other than Walt Disney. Disney refused the proposal because "he could only understand every third word."

"Do you remember what Miranda says?"

No comments:

Post a Comment