Monday, June 15, 2009

David Carradine's Last Night in Bangkok

"One night in Bangkok makes a hard man (David Carradine?) humble
Not much between despair and ecstasy
One night in Bangkok and the tough guys tumble (or hang?)
Can't be too careful with your company
I can feel the devil walking next to me"

Wow, talk about "ahead-of-its-time". Seems like Murray Head's one hit wonder is still relevant today, summing up a modern tragedy with a song about extreme chess. Despair and ecstasy indeed (but in the opposite order).

This reminds me a lot of a skit Dave Chappelle did mimicking the constant foreshadowing in Tupac's lyrics from songs (suposedly written in '94) released after his death. In this video Dave Chappelle (as Tupac) raps about modern issues and events as if he was still alive today.




"Listen close as life turns its pages
Makiaveli here kickin' rhymes for the ages
Seen things in stages, Wise words spoken by sages
From Skytel to Blackberry pagers
Your crew don't phase us
We'll make you busters pay us
Run up in yo spot like CJ from San Andreas

I wrote this song a long time ago
A real long time ago, FEEL ME!
I wrote this song a long time ago
It was the dopest song I ever wrote... in 94'

What can a n**** do
When half the people voted for George W
Life's a bitch, f*** George W., can't be true
I want to choke him, cause he's a snitch
I'm talking bout George W. Smith
From city council
He ran in 93 out in Oakland.
You probably didn't hear about him."

Another dead rapper turned prophet after his death is The Notorious B.I.G, through his lyrics in "Juicy":

"Now I'm the limelight, 'cause I rhyme tight
Time to get paid, blow up like the World Trade"

Silly political revelations aside, when it comes to George Bush related anger, no one does it better than Immortal Technique in "Bin Laden".

No comments:

Post a Comment